A FULL TOUR OF THE PELOPONNESE. 2 days 1 night (from Athens).
- Duration: 2 Days (approx.)
- Location: Nafplion, Peloponnese
- Product code: A full tour of the Peloponnese. 2 day 1 night. CATT
See and learn the history of the Corinth Canal.
ANCIENT CORINTH (Archaia Korinthos)
The ancient city-state of Corinth was located on the narrow strip of land connecting the Peloponnese to mainland Greece, known as the Isthmusof Corinth. In ancient times, the city grew wealthy due to this strategic location and its control of the transportation of ships from the Corinthian to the Saronic gulf and vice versa. It became one of the most important trade powers in ancient Greece and had an extensive network of colonies. It was also the location of countless ancient myths, like the myth of Sisyphus and there were games like the Olympics held in the devotional area of Isthmia. Although the city was destroyed by earthquakes, you can still see the extensive ruins that testify to Corinth’s great prosperity, including the marble columns of the Temple of Apollo. It is also one of the places that Saint Paul visited and wrote letters to.
THE GREAT THEATER OF EPIDAURUS
Epidaurus, the famous theater. Built in the 4th century BC, it is famous for its acoustics - they are so perfect that words spoken on stage can be heard perfectly wherever you are in the audience.
ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE MYCENAE
Mycenae was the seat of Agamemnon, who led the Greeks against the Trojans to take back Helen, the wife of his brother Menelaus. The ruins of the ancient city are famous for the amazing “Cyclopean walls” - so named because the later Greeks thought that only a Cyclops could move such huge rocks into place. You will see the Lion Gate, which formed the entrance to the royal court and palace.
We will visit Nemea, an ancient wine making region of Greece. Nemea is home to an grape variety that is at least 3,000 years old, which is called "Agiorgitiko". Due to the different microclimates in the region, there is a variety of different wines produced here, from fruity and light to mature and full-bodied. At the winery, they will explain to us how the wine is made, and we will get to try 3 different types of wine. It will be accompanied by a selection of delicious local "mezes" , which is a selection of local foods similar to tapas and have a full meal (lunch or dinner).
Stepping forward in history, we will see the Palamidi Castle in Nafplio,built by the Venetians and famous for supposedly having 999 steps. According to legend, there were once 1000 steps leading to the castle, but one of them was crushed by Theodoros Kolokotronis, a leader of the Greek war of independence, when celebrating a victory against the Ottomans.
Accommodation: We stay overnight at the area of Epidavrus or Nafplio in a 3 or 4 star Hotel depending on availability.
ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE ANCIENT OF OLYMPIA
This tour will take us across the Isthmus of Corinth and the Peloponnese to the valley of the river Alfios to see the ruins of the ancient Olympia, the historic site of the Olympic Games. This was the greatest of the Panhellenic Games and every four years Greeks from all the different city-states would put aside their disputes and come together to compete. The importance of Olympia can still be seen from its ruins, including the Temple of Zeus, which once contained a 13 meter statue of the god made of gold and ivory, the Temple of Hera, the stadium and the Shrine of Pelops. Even today, the Olympic Flame is lit in Olympia and then taken on a relay across the world to end up in the city where the Olympic Games are being held.
And we finish our 2day tour by seeing the Diolkos, an ancient "road" that connected the Saronic Gulf and the Corinthian Gulf, they would pay tolls to drag there ships from one sea to the other.
• Transportation from and to your central hotel in Athens or Piraeus or address you give us.
• Transportation from and to the cruise terminal of Piraeus port and ATHENS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT.
• Everything that involves the vehicle.
• Professional guide in the site of ancient Corinth and ancient Olympia.
• Private tour (your party only), Air condition, Wi-Fi in vehicle, fuel surcharge and tolls.
• Professional English-speaking driver/guide. Gives information & tips but does not come in the sites.
• Dinner or lunch for each passenger.
• We stay overnight at the area of Epidavrus or Nafplio in a 3 or 4 star Hotel depending on availability.
• Admission fees
• Coffee, drinks & snacks.
KNOW BEFORE YOU BOOK
• Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult
• All prices are for one private vehicle, 1-3 passengers sedan 4-7 passengers minivan, usually Mercedes-Benz.
• You must be able to walk on unpaved or uneven terrain, other wise the driver will do the best so you can see most of the sites.
• departure time is up to you between 05:00am -09:00am
.• time needed 2 day (we return late on the 2nd day).
• We may reserve the right to cancel a customer's booking for a full refund in case of: Bad weather or if the sites are closed.
• Our drivers are polite, friendly and professional. Their first priority is your satisfaction and safety. All drivers on on tours know English, will help you and give you tips. The cars are well maintained and clean, all of them have free wifi. If needed we can also provide babychairs, wheelchairs and most phone chargers.
• You can cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
• If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
• If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
• After that time no changes of time, no refunds or cancellations can be made.