- Duration: 15 Hours (approx.)
- Location: KALAMBAKA
- Product code: METEORA TOUR CATT
• Visit Meteora, the monastery of Agios Stefanos and Thermopylae
Travelling across the Plain of Thessaly, we will find the monasteries of Meteora. These monasteries not only give us a glimpse into the ancient monastic life of the Orthodox Church, but also have one of the most breathtaking locations in Greece. Over millions of years the wind has carved out great sandstone columns that overlook the plain and, in around the 11th century AD, people began to gather here to seek a spiritual life. They built their monasteries on the tops of these columns, both for safety and for the isolation they provided. In the past the monasteries were often only accessible by a rope ladder, which the monks could draw up if they were threatened and this way they were protected from the Turkish invaders that were slowly taking over the Byzantine Empire. We will visit the Monastery of Agios Stefanos (or another), perched on a towering pinnacle of rock; thankfully it is the easiest of the monasteries to reach, being accessible from a small bridge. It is known for its beautiful Katholikon (Cathedral) dedicated to St. Charalambos and contains his relics, however this is only open to the public on the two days of the year when the monastery has feasts to the saints.
Whilst in the area we will also visit the site of the Leonidas’ 300 Spartans stand against the mighty army of the Xerxes of Persia - Thermopylae, or the “Hot Gates”. The Spartans and their allies lured the Persian army to this narrow pass between the cliffs and the sea and although they were defeated, their bravery allowed the other Greek city-states to mobilise and finally defeat the Persians at the Battle of Salamis.
• Transportation from and to your central hotel in Athens or Piraeus
• Transportation from and to the cruise terminal of Piraeus port
• Everything that involves the vehicle
• Admission fees
• Food and drinks
• Professional guide in the site (if wanted)
KNOW BEFORE YOU BOOK
• Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
• All prices are for 1 tour and for 1 to 4 passengers with a TAXI & up to 7 passengers with a MINIVAN.
• You must be able to walk on unpaved or uneven terrain, other wise the driver will
do the best so you can see most of the sites.
• Departure time is up to you between 05:00am - 07:00am
.• Time needed 13-15 hours.
• Our drivers are polite, friendly and professional. Their first priority is your
satisfaction and safety. All drivers on on tours know English, will help you and give
you tips. The cars are well maintained and clean, all of them have free wifi.
If needed we can also provide baby-chairs, wheelchairs and most phone chargers.
• You can cancel free of charge until 24 hours before your reservation starts.
After that time no changes of time, no refunds or cancellations can be made.