Greece Travel Secrets Highlights of Corinth & Peloponnese Day-trip
- Duration: 11 Hours (approx.)
- Location: PELOPONNESE
- Product code: PELOPONNESE GTS
• Visit the Corinth Canal, Ancient Corinth the Theatre of Epidaurus, Mycenae, and Palamidi Castle in Nafplio.
This tour will take us to the major sites of the Peloponnese, both ancient and modern, the ancient city-state of Corinth was located on the narrow strip of land connecting the Peloponnese to mainland Greece, known as the Isthmus of Corinth. In ancient times, the city grew wealthy due to this strategic location and its control of the transportation of ships from the Corinthian to the Saronic Gulfs, and vice versa. It became one of the most important trade powers in ancient Greece and had an extensive network of colonies. It was also the location of countless ancient myths, such as the myth of Sisyphus. Games– including the Olympics – were held in the devotional area of Isthmia.
The ancient city was destroyed by the Romans, who built a new city in its place; we can still see the extensive ruins of the Temple of Apollo that testify to Corinth’s great prosperity. As we cross the Isthmus, we stop to see the great feat of engineering that finally opened the route between the Gulf of Corinth and the Saronic Gulf - the Corinth Canal. It was finished in 1893, even though the idea existed at least as far back as 602 BC!
From the Homeric city of Mycenae to the Corinth Canal. The kingdom of Mycenae was one of the first great centres of the Greek culture; settlement on this site dates back to the second millennium BC.
According to Homer, Mycenae was the seat of Agamemnon, who led the Greeks against the Trojans to take back Helen, the wife of his brother Menelaus. The ruins of the ancient city are famous for the amazing “Cyclopean walls” - so named because the later Greeks thought that only a Cyclops could move such huge rocks into place. You will see the Lion Gate, which formed the entrance to the royal court and palace. Nearby there are the tombs of legendary figures such as Aegisthus and Clytemnestra.
Stepping forward in history, we will see the Palamidi Castle in Nafplio, built by the Venetians and famous for supposedly having 999 steps. According to legend, there were once 1000 steps leading to the castle, but one of them was crushed by Theodoros Kolokotronis, a leader of the Greek war of independence, during celebrations for a victory against the Ottomans.
Finally, our journey to the Peloponnese will take us across the Corinth Canal. Completed in 1893 – and a huge feat of technology at the time - it finally opened up the shipping route between the Saronic Gulf and the Gulf of Corinth and separated the Peloponnese from the mainland, effectively turning it into an island.
Please use the promo code “GTS” to get a 10% discount.
After choosing your tour with all details needed you click on "Add Promo code", type in the code and then apply. After the discount has been made then you can continue booking.
- Early pick up from Hotel
- Drive over the Corinth Canal and stop for photo
- Visit Ancient Corinth ( 1 hour)
- Drive to Epidaurus
- Visit Epidaurus ( 1 hour)
- Lunch in Tolo - Nafplio (Ormos or Romvi)
- Nafplio – including Palamidi ( 2 hours)
- Mycenae (1 hour) - (We drive past Tyrins on the way but don't stop)
- Return to Athens (Late afternoon)
• Transportation from and to your central hotel in Athens or Piraeus
• Transportation from and to the cruise terminal of Piraeus port
• Admission fees
• Food and drinks
• Professional Site Guide (if wanted)
KNOW BEFORE YOU BOOK:
• Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult
• All prices are for 1 tour, for 1 to 4 passengers, with a taxi or sedan, and up to 7 passengers with a minivan
• You must be able to walk on unpaved or uneven terrain; otherwise the driver will do their best for you to see most of the sites
• Departure time is between 6:00am-7:30am, based on your preference!
• Duration: 9~12 hours
•Our drivers are professional, friendly, and knowledgeable. Their priority is your satisfaction and safety. All our drivers speak English and are ready to help and to provide tips!
• Our cars are well-maintained, clean, and have free Wi-Fi. Baby chairs, wheelchairs and most phone chargers are available on request, at no additional charge
• You can cancel free of charge until 24 hours before your tour is due to start. No refunds are allowed after this time.
For any questions we will be more than happy to answer within 24 hours.