- Varaktighet: 6 Timmar (cirka)
- Plats: Athens, Attica
- Produktkod: ATHENS TOUR CATT 1
Visit the Acropolis, the Temple of Zeus, the Changing of the Guard at the President’s Residence, The Prime Minister’s Residence, the Roman Agora, the Greek Agora, the Old Parliament and Socrates’ Prison Cell, the Changing of the Guard at Parliament, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the National Library, the University and the Academy of Athens, Hadrian’s Arch, the 1896 Olympic Stadium, plus a spectacular view of the city from Lycabettus Hill.
This tour of Athens takes us to the most famous sites of the city, both ancient and modern. Undoubtedly the most famous landmark of Athens – and the pride of Athenians - is the Parthenon, atop Acropolis Hill. It is the ancient temple, which was dedicated to Athena, the goddess Athens is named after. It is visible from most of central Athens and is surrounded by the city’s charming and picturesque historical center. We will see the ancient Roman Agora (marketplace) and the Ancient Greek Agora where Socrates once spoke with the Athenian citizens about such subjects as justice, truth and love. We also visit the cave where Socrates was allegedly held prisoner before his execution by Athenians for “corrupting the youth”.Wandering a little further from immediate surrounds of the Acropolis, we watch the Changing of the Guard - at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier - in front of the Parliament. These guards, known as Evzones, are the elite force of the Greek Army and were known for their bravery and honor until World War II. Their uniform was introduced by King Otto of Greece and was inspired by the traditional clothes of the mountain warriors and bandits who formed the resistance to the Ottoman Empire. Near the Parliament, we will also see the famous “trilogy” of buildings designed by the Danish architects Theophil and Christian Hansen: the Academy of Athens, the University of Athens and the National Library. In grand neoclassical style, they represent the ambitions of the early Greek state. Along with these more modern landmarks, we also see the stadium where the first modern Olympics were held in 1896.
Next is the Temple of Olympian Zeus, with only a few of its original 104 columns standing, and the monument known as Hadrian’s Arch, a distinctive Roman structure dedicated to Theseus and Hadrian, the founders of Athens. The day ends with the second Changing of the Guard at the Presidential Mansion.
EXTRAS that you can purchase while booking:
• Admission fees
• Professional tour guide (for in the site)
• Lunch or dinner for each passenger
• Transportation from and to your central hotel in Athens or Piraeus
• Transportation from and to the cruise terminal of Piraeus port
• Admission fees
• Food and drinks
• Professional Site Guide (if wanted)
KNOW BEFORE YOU BOOK:
• Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult
• All prices are for 1 tour, for 1 to 4 passengers, with a taxi or sedan, and up to 7 passengers with a minivan
• You must be able to walk on unpaved or uneven terrain; otherwise the driver will do their best for you to see most of the sites
• Departure time is between 6:00am-10:00am, based on your preference!
• Duration: 5~6 hours
• Our drivers are professional, friendly and knowledgeable. Their priority is your satisfaction and safety. All our drivers speak English and are ready to help and to provide tips!
• Our cars are well-maintained, clean, and have free Wi-Fi. Baby chairs, wheelchairs and most phone chargers are available on request, at no additional charge
• You can cancel free of charge until 48 hours before your tour is due to start. No refunds are allowed after this time.
For any questions we will be more than happy to answer within 24 hours.